The corner lounge /double bed it is finished, now we only have to make the under bed storage doors and some few details.
We finished the retractable slat section for the couch and part of the bed and tested it before fixing it to the base/storage. It works fine so now will screw it to the base and will be ready to take it to the van when required.
The slat is made using 42mm x 19 mm all-dressed pine. The base using Tasmanian oak timber and plywood treated with clear varnish.
After finishing the floor we started building the cabinet carcasses. Marine plywood and Tasmanian oak timber are used to make sure that the cabinets will last and fewer chances to get mold if we go far north where the humidity is very high.
The cabinet behind the seats will hold the 54 liters water tank, the pump, and storage including the portable gas stove.
The one on the RHS will be for the 12 V DC – 240 V AC fridge and freezer plus storage above it.
More cabinets will be on the LHS opposite to the couch/bed
We started making the bed which will be 1.95 M long and 1.20 m wide when in bed form.
We finished the DC, AC and the reverse camera wiring and fitted the original wall trimmings.
We were going to use plywood for the wall but after considering that nearly all the walls are not going to be seen and we can save a considerable amount of money and time the logic idea was to use the original ones.
We started presenting on the floor the vinyl planks and tomorrow we will glue them in place with a cement that will be easy in the future to remove any plank in case of breakage.
It was a messy task indeed but it is necessary to have a well-insulated camper here in Tasmania.
The 25 mm Foilboards fitted very nice and as per specs, we left a gap between the insulation and the van panels.
All the gaps on the edges of the panels were filled with expansion foam.
Next job will be the wiring.
Today, 26/8 we fitted the Foilboard polystyrene on the van’s floor and also started with the installation of the 9 mm marine plywood.
We used the old floor as a template which has to be adjusted due to a different position to the original floor which has the provision for the wheelchair lifter.
The Tasmanian weather was on our side so we managed to finish with the insulation and cut the two large pieces of plywood.
The first task is to block all the holes on the floor which were to secure the seats, anchor points, wheelchair lifter and securing the plywood.
I used a roof flashing tape which it is all-weather and waterproof.
Each hole was cleaned and plugged. Later on, I would paint the chassis and the bottom of the floor with thick chassis paint to seal any hole and also reduce the road noise
Tomorrow we start with the insulation and preparation for fitting the 9mm marine plywood.
This was a productive weekend thanks to the cooperation of the weather.
The job was to remove the wheelchairs anchor points to be able to take out the plywood floor. Not a simple task because each anchor has 4 bolts with nuts underneath of the van which were spinning.
Once the anchors were removed we were able to take the two pieces of plywood without any damage.
We cleaned the floor and now it is almost ready for the second stage, plug many holes left by pop rivets and several bolts.
The Toyota commuter buses have an anti rattle membrane bonded on the floor to reduce the noise. This membrane is sticky and with the years the felp bonded on the vinyl floor covering was glued to the membrane. It took few hours to remove it.